Saturday, January 16, 2010

There Is Truth in Innocence


My brother had a UN trip to Bahrain scheduled this afternoon, so we spent the morning going into town taking care of some business. We went into Westlands, a division of Nairobi to pick up groceries and filled up the SIM card for internet usage. Along the way I took the opportunity to take some pictures of Matatus. I've made contact with a Kibera organization that will hopefully provide me with safe passage and hook me up with some local Kiberans. I'll have an update on that late next week. After dinner tonight I watched "Sarafina" with my 8 year old Kenyan niece. Probably the only cool musical I've ever seen. If you haven't seen it yet, check it out. It's about a 1976 school uprising in Soweto during the Apartheid years in South Africa. Near the end my niece said; "Why do they hurt each other? We are all the same family." What else needs to be said?
Sometimes kids just speak the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment