Friday, January 8, 2010

Paradise Found


I arrived in Nairobi yesterday afternoon. My brother picked me up in his old faithful cherry red Isuzu Trooper and we sailed off into the chaotic cacophony of rush hour Nairobi. It is a sea of motorbikes, matatus, bicycles, and people either walking on the side of the roads or running out in front of you. And when you inevitably become stuck in traffic, people approach you trying to sell newspapers, maps, nuts, anything. Like many other developing countries, there is a whole economy built on traffic jams. When we pulled into his new pad with an amber teracotta roof, three dogs greeted us, that I have dubbed Zeus, Appolo and Ricky Ricardo. I realized that his well manicured lawn of palm trees, the red car, the dogs, and the terracotta roof, that I was staying at Robin Masters estate. I remarked this while sipping my wine and stroking my moustache in my hawaiian shirt.
At the end of the night, I read a story and put my niece to bed. Life doesn't get much better than this, I thought to myself. A bed feels so good after 26 hrs of travelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment